Monday, November 17, 2014

The Mommy Life



Transitioning into the life of a mom. Here are a few things I've learned since starting this journey:

*When your pregnant, people will say the same things over and over  to you ("when's the baby due, what's the name, how far along are you, what's the gender, what hospital are you going to?") , try not to get annoyed. They aren't trying to annoy you, they are just excited for you.
And random people might want to touch or rub your belly like your some sort of buda...I haven't quit figured out what the proper reaction to this is...

*If you plan to do a home birth, you can never have too many night pads/bed pads and towels! Also, buy yourself a button up or zip up night gown (more than one-because that's what will be most comfortable for a while). Even if you don't plan on a home birth, it might be nice to have around. (Or at least I thought so)

*The way they portray births in movies is completely unrealistic. You don't just go "Oh, I'm in labor." or "Oh my water just broke.", then pushing starts and baby pops out. Nope much longer than that. Also, you don't really "push" your body knows when to push and will actually do it for you. It was seriously an uncontrollable action, more like instinct (best way I can describe it is like sneezing). It is best to let it happen naturally and breath with the pushes.  Don't force anything or fight it because that's when you tear. 

*I wish I would've had someone take a few nice shots of Me, Scott, and Liam right after birth. slipped my mind, but we got one at least (just can't see Liam's face :-( ).

*Make yourself as many freezer meals as you can before giving birth, that is one thing I wish I had done. My mom however made us a few and they were a life saver, but you go through them fast!

* When a baby is born, after you wipe all that "birth" off of them, they have the most beautiful skin you've ever seen. They also have that newborn smell, which everyone knows what I'm talking about but we can't quite describe it. But you can ruin that in a heartbeat by using lotions and soaps too soon. Some babies have extremely sensitive skin, even to lotions and washes specifically designed for babies. I learned this the hard way, poor Liam. If you are going to use a lotion or soap, test it in a small area first before lathering you baby in it. best to just use water the first few baths and baby oil or olive oil as moisturizer.
 Also, if your baby is breaking out in a rash you can't figure out why, they might be allergic to the detergent you use on your clothes or a perfume your wearing. These things had never occurred to me before, but now I know. :-)

*If you plan to breastfeed, keep to a feeding schedule. Even if baby is taking an extra long nap, pump so that your milk supply stays up. Also, super important to stay well hydrated, nourished, and avoid elaborate foods that might upset your baby's stomach. Burping is also very important so baby doesn't develop bubbles. I find I get best results when I place Liam belly down on my chest, and pat his back. 

*Research Pediatricians before you give birth. You will be exhausted and not want one extra thing to do while you are recovering. Apparently some Pediatricians will turn away home births, so if you plan on that it's best to go through all of that before you give birth.

*Baby boys pee on EVERYTHING- this is something I heard but I thought it was just when your were changing their diapers - nope, somehow they get everything wet (the bed, the blanket you wrap them in, their clothes, you) even when they have a diaper on. So be prepared to do a lot of laundry. 

*Give yourself plenty of time to recover, do not plan anything big the first whole month after you give birth (I honestly didn't think recovery would take so long). Be realistic with expectations for yourself- you probably won't have a clean house for quite some time, if the only thing you get done in one day is laundry, that's good enough! And don't worry about what others think or what they do, YOU know YOUR limits and sometime you just have to say no.

So today I got  "summoned for jury duty" December 1st. Wow, could they have better timing? That's right after Thanksgiving (Scott's family will be out) and right after I start back at work, and I just had a baby! I'm going to see if they will let me out of it this time because I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. 

My appreciation for moms is really growing. This is hard stuff! Much harder than any job I've ever had, and I've had some not so great jobs. I find myself feeling I'm not good enough to be a mom and feel I'm failing Liam already. Or that I'm not doing as much as others. But I just suck it up and stop the self pittying, because I'm here...I'm doing this...there's no turning back...and when Liam smiles at me, it makes every worry fade away and I'm completely happy. :-) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I graduated from BYU-I with my Bachelor's in Integrated Studio Arts with a custom clustered minor in Dance and Health Science. I met my husband my senior year of college and fell hard pretty fast (which is very unlike me). We got married May 12, 2012. Moved to Kansas in 2013, and had our son Liam 2014.