Saturday, February 2, 2013

Groundhog Days


Happy Groundhog's Day ya'll!!!

We decided to actually celebrate in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania this year. Dad, Mom, Scott and I arrived in Clearfield (where our hotel was) the night before. My Aunt and Uncle also came to Clearfield and stayed in the hotel across from us. We all went, Jim joined us, to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub that night for dinner. The Pub is famous for their "Challenge burgers", ranging from 2 lbs to 50 lbs!!! We decided to tackle the 3 lbs challenger, all four of us couldn't even finish it! It was bigger than our heads! The patty was so thick and they used actually two loafs of bread instead of buns. It was sooo yummy too.


We tried to get as much sleep as we could that night but we had to wake up at 4:30AM to leave by 5:00AM. We got to Punxsutawny and rode the buses to Gobbler's Knob  



We got there just in time for the fireworks! They were absolutely spectacular. Then we all sang and danced and cheered until 7:28, when they pulled Phil out of his stump and had him pick the scroll that predicted our weather. Early Spring Baby!!! :-)

Standing at the Gobbler's Knob entrance archway before the fun!
There were so many fun hats and even a person that wore a whole groundhog costume, which probably kept them very warm.



It was so freezing cold and packed, but so much fun. I just wish people would be a little more considerate and not smoke in crowds. 
After the fun we got back on the buses and arrived back into town. And there's a funny story with a woman, a cane, and a child, but I might add that later (I'm getting tired).

After the fun, when it was light and you can see the sign.



There were a bunch of these painted groundhogs around the town, we got pics in front of the dollar bill bank one.




As you can see it was very cold, it started out as like 0 degrees in the morning then went up to about 7.
Then off to breakfast back in Clearfield, the Dutch Pantry Restaraunt, which was super cute.


Super delicious breakfast an I want to get those glasses for my kitchen. :-)

They had these beautiful paintings on the windows of the restaurants. 



Of course the guys had to go to the gun store (Jim had suggested) then we walked around town. The guys went to an army surplus/gun store and the girls went to a bakery and antique store. 




Then we headed home. We drove a ways and the guys saw another gun shop and of course we had to stop ;-p. 

pretty icicles 

Dad and Scott going into their third gun store in one day. I'm glad they had fun , they were like kids at a candy store. :-)

When we got home we had some lovely WARM chicken soup (Thanks Mom, it was delicious) and watched groundhogs day as a family (our celebration with grandma, because she could not come on the trip).

:-)  GREAT WEEKEND!





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I graduated from BYU-I with my Bachelor's in Integrated Studio Arts with a custom clustered minor in Dance and Health Science. I met my husband my senior year of college and fell hard pretty fast (which is very unlike me). We got married May 12, 2012. Moved to Kansas in 2013, and had our son Liam 2014.